Friday, December 11, 2009

Free Fallin/Va Penseiro


So I’ve finally found a youtube video of a cover I’ve been trying to find for the past year, and I’d love to share it with you. This Russian singer/actress Elena Satine sang this incredibly amazing cover of Tom Petty’s “Free Fallin,” in a cold case episode (crime shows are also another guilty indulgence of mine) last year, and I thought it was awesome how she combines this classic with Verdi’s “Va Pensiero,” from Nabucco. I’ll give you a little background for the episode, because it truly reflects on some of the issues I’m dealing with In a little more dramatic kind of way (I hopefully won’t end up dead in a subway..)

Elena plays a Russian immigrant whose father brought her to the US to sing classical music, while she’s attending NYU she falls fort the smooth pop style and starts taking lessons behind her father’s back. The scene in the youtube video is when her father discovers her singing on a street corner, and she shows him how versatile music can be by mixing Tom Petty with Italian Opera.

Lately I’ve been doing a lot of struggling with my craft, because I’m technically being trained to sing classical music, while my heart still completely lies in jazz.. & instead of having a crazy Russian father telling me I can’t sing the music I want to.. I just have little to no career opportunities with it. The result of sticking a jazz singer in an opera is definitely an identity crisis. This song was awesome, because I’ve spent the entire year studying Verdi in my freshman seminar (Va Penseiro is also a song about freedom, and it was so popular that the audiences would sing it during the performances), and I love Tom Petty, because I’ve recently done some free falling myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment