Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ashamed

This isn’t a real music video.. so don’t judge it.

So tonight I’m going to do a two part blog. A blog on the past, and a blog on the future. This particular blog is about the past, and it is on my favorite Deer Park song “Ashamed.”

This song is brutal, rough, and nostalgic combined with a sort of calm complacency. His voice takes getting used to if you don’t like alternative music, but I’ve grown to love it over the years. He’s joked around that the song can be related to any shitty situation, but you can tell that he’s written for someone who has obviously taken a part of his soul, and although the title is pretty easy to figure out, the lyrics are complicated, thought driven, and far from Backstreet Boys (although I’ll give them cred in an upcoming blog.. we don’t discriminate here).

The addictive chorus (listen to this song once and I kid-you-not you will be singing it when you wake up in the morning) is the driving though) states the whole purpose of what the song is about, “what a crying shame, what we became.” It reaches out to all those relationships that melt into something different, and for me it’s always been something I’ve grown to expect. I’ve said it a hundred times in this blog, but it’s a natural instinct for me to push people away when they’ve gotten too close.. and honestly it’s hard to truly believe in the concept of “love” sometimes, because how many people actually feel the same way about their spouse in three years, let alone 72? It’s easy to look back and agonize about “what happened,” but sometimes it’s easier to just admit what a damn shame it was and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment